If you’re finding it tough to keep on top of your energy bills, you may be eligible for government grants to insulate your home, replace boilers, replace storage heaters, central heating, loft insulation, external wall insulation, and overall heating improvements through the Warmer Homes Scheme.

In this article, we’ll explain how the scheme works, who is eligible, and what kind of improvements you could get.


What is the Warmer Homes Scotland Programme?

The Warmer Homes Scotland initiative, which is run by Warmworks Scotland and funded by the Scottish government, is designed to assist those who are having trouble keeping their homes warm.

The goal of the program is for you to use less energy while still funding home improvements such as insulation, draught-proofing, and boilers and heating.

What is Available through the Warmer Homes Programme?

Improvements will be determined based on a survey of your property. Assessors will come to your home to do a survey and determine which improvements are suggested and if they are feasible for you to finance.

There are more than forty potential measures available including:

  • Boiler upgrade
  • Central heating
  • Draught-proofing
  • Ground source heat pumps
  • Loft insulation
  • Renewable and micro-renewable heating system
  • Wall insulation

Related: Are There Government Grants for Air Source Heat Pumps?

Who is eligible for the Warmer Homes Scotland Programme?

If you live in Scotland and are having trouble heating your home, you may apply for the Warmer Homes Scotland program based on your circumstances.

The following are the basic requirements for eligibility.

Householders who do not qualify for Warmer Homes Scotland might be eligible for assistance through the interest-free loan program or one of many area-based programs if they do not meet the criteria.

To be eligible for Warm Homes Scotland funding, a property must have an energy rating of 64 or less and a floor area of less than 230m2.

In the previous five years, homeowners must not have received assistance for energy-efficiency improvements from Warmer Homes Scotland or HEEPS ABS financing.

One member of the household must meet all of the following criteria:

• Be homeowners or the tenants of a private-sector landlord

• Live in the home as their main residence

• Have lived there for at least 12 months (unless in receipt of a DS1500 certificate)

• Live in a home that meets the tolerable living standard set out in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 or, where the home does not meet the tolerable living standards, this will not impact on the effectiveness of the measures recommended for installation under the scheme.

and must also meet one of the following conditions:

Be over pensionable age, have no working heating system, and be in receipt of a passport benefit;

• Be aged over 75 and be in receipt of a passport benefit;

• Be pregnant and/or have a child under 16 and be in receipt of a passport benefit;

• Have a disability and be in receipt of a high rate Disability Living Allowance (care or mobility component);

• Have a disability and be in receipt of low/medium rate Disability Living Allowance (care or mobility component) and be in receipt of an income-related benefit.

• Be a carer in receipt of Carers Allowance;

• Have been injured or disabled serving in the Armed Forces and be in receipt of Armed ForcesIndependence Payment/War Disablement Pension;

• Have an injury or disability from an accident or disease caused by work and be in receipt of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

The passport benefits are:

• Guarantee element of Pension Credit;

• AttendanceAllowance;

• Universal Credit or any of the benefits due to be replaced by Universal Credit (Income Based JSA, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit);

• Council Tax Reduction (excluding 25% discount for single occupancy)

• Carer’s Allowance;

• Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP);

• Armed ForcesIndependence Payment;

• War Disablement Pension;

• Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

For more information on the requirements, please contact Home Energy Scotland for free. Warmer homes phone number is 0808 808 2282 or visit their website.

How do I apply for Warmer Homes Scotland?

In order to apply for Warmer Homes Scotland, you need to call the Home Energy Scotland Freephone 0808 808 2282 or complete the contact form available on their website.

The Warmworks Scotland staff will walk you through the entire procedure, from scheduling your property’s survey to referring you to the Warmer Homes Scotland managing agent – Warmworks Scotland.

Who are Warmworks?

Warmworks is dedicated to delivering affordable warmth to houses, families, and communities all around the country.

Since its founding in 2015, they have assisted tens of thousands of people in reducing their energy consumption and living warmer, happier, healthier lives.

Energy Saving Trust, Changeworks, and Everwarm collaborated to establish them in 2015 as a joint venture partnership.

Other schemes in Scotland

Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland

The Scottish government’s Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland (HEEPS) delivers financial assistance via the Warmer Homes Scotland initiative. It may be utilized to help you save money on your energy bills by funding energy efficiency upgrades like draught-proofing, insulating, or replacing your boiler.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born before 26 September 1955, you might be eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment, which is tax-free for up to £300 to assist you with your expenses. Learn more about it here.

About the Author

Passionate about helping households transition to sustainable energy with helpful information and resources.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}