If you’re in the process of installing a new composite deck or are considering upgrading your current one, you may be wondering about composite decking.
Here are 28 facts that you should know about this popular material before making your final decision.
1. WPC Meaning
WPC stands for “Wood Plastic Composite” and is a mix of wood fibers and recycled plastic. Oftentimes people think PVC boards are also a type of composite, but they are not and the two are not the same.
2. Maintain Your Deck By Regularly Cleaning It
In order to keep your deck in good shape, you need to regularly clean it. This is especially true if you live in an area with a lot of trees or other plants that can drop leaves and other debris on your deck.
3. You Can Get Composite Decking In A Variety Of Colors
When you get composite decking, you have a lot of different color options to choose from. This can be helpful if you want your deck to match the colors of your home or other outdoor features.
4. Composite Decking Is Made From Recycled Materials
One of the benefits of composite decking is that it is made from recycled materials. This means that you can feel good about using a product that is good for the environment.
5. Composite Decking Is Durable
Another benefit of composite decking is that it is very durable. It is designed to withstand the elements and last for many years.
6. Composite Decking Is Low Maintenance
One of the best things about composite decking is that it is low maintenance. You don’t have to worry about staining or sealing it like you would with traditional wood decking.
7. Composite Decking Is Slip Resistant
Another benefit of composite decking is that it is slip-resistant. This can be helpful if you live in an area where it rains or snows a lot.
8. Composite Decking Is easy To Install
One of the best things about composite decking is that it is easy to install. You can do it yourself or hire a professional to do it for you.
9. Composite Decking Is Weather Resistant
Another benefit of composite decking is that it is weather resistant. This means that it can withstand sun, rain, snow, and wind.
10. Composite Decking Comes With A Warranty
When you get composite decking, you can feel confident that it will last for many years. This is because most companies offer a warranty on their products.
11. You Can Find Composite Decking At Most Home Improvement Stores
If you are looking for composite decking, you can find it at most home improvement stores. This is a convenient way to get the product you need without having to order it online.
12. You Can Also Order Composite Decking Online
If you cannot find composite decking at your local home improvement store, you can always order it online. This is a great option if you want to save money or get a better deal.
13. Composite Decking Is An Investment
When you invest in composite decking, you are making an investment in your home. This is because it will last for many years and increase the value of your home.
14. Composite Decking Is Easy To Care For
Once you have installed composite decking, you will find that it is easy to care for. You will not have to worry about staining or sealing it.
15. Composite Decking Is A Green Product
Because composite decking is made from recycled materials, it is a green product. This means that you can feel good about using a product that is good for the environment.
16. There are two types of Composite decking:
- Solid composite decking
- Hollow composite decking
Solid composite decking
Solid composite decking is made of 100% recycled plastic and wood fibers. It is dense and strong making it the best choice for high-traffic areas. It is also extremely lightweight so it is easy to handle and install.
Hollow composite decking
Hollow composite decking is lighter weight and less strong than solid composite decking. It is also more affordable. You will need special clips to install it which can be found at your local home improvement store.
17. Composite Decking Can Last 20-30 years
When properly cared for, composite decking can last 20-30 years. This makes it a great investment for your home.
18. Composite Boards Are Longer Than Wooden Ones
Did you know that composite boards are actually longer than traditional wooden boards?
19. Composite Decking is Splinter-free
One of the best things about composite decking is that it is splinter-free. This means you can walk barefoot on your deck without worrying about getting splinters.
20. Composite Decking is Easy to Clean
Another great thing about composite decking is that it is easy to clean. You can simply hose it down or sweep it with a broom.
21. Composite Decking Will Not Bend Or Warp
Unlike wooden decking, composite decking will not bend or warp. This makes it the perfect choice for areas that experience extreme weather conditions.
22. Composite Decking is UV Resistant
One of the best things about composite decking is that it is UV resistant. This means it will not fade in the sun and will keep its original color for many years.
23. Can be fitted in a wide variety of Different Gardens
Composite decking is extremely versatile and can be fitted in a wide variety of different gardens. Whether you have a large or small garden, composite decking will be able to suit your needs.
24. You Can Cut Composite Decking Just Like Wood
If you need to make any adjustments to your composite decking, you can do so with ease. You can cut it, drill it, and saw it just like you would with wood.
25. Composite Decking Use Decking Starter Clips
To make the installation process easier, you can use decking starter clips. These are special clips that attach to the joists and help to hold the decking in place.
26. Composite Decking Can Use Hidden Fasteners
If you want to create a seamless look, you can use hidden fasteners. These are specially made screws that fit into the grooves of the decking boards and are hidden from view.
27. Composite Decking Is A Great Choice For Pool Decks
If you have a pool, composite decking is a great choice. This is because it is slip-resistant and will not get hot in the sun.
28. Composite Decking Is A Great Choice For Hot Tub Decks
If you have a hot tub, composite decking is a great choice. This is because it will not get hot in the sun and is also slip-resistant.
Pros and Cons of Composite Decking
1. Composite decking is durable and long-lasting.
2. Composite decking is easy to care for and requires little maintenance.
3. Composite decking is a green product made from recycled materials.
4. Composite decking is splinter-free and slip-resistant.
5. Composite decking will not warp or bend.
6. Composite decking is UV resistant and will not fade in the sun.
7. Composite decking is available in a wide variety of colors and styles.
8. Composite decking is easy to install and can be done by a DIYer.
9. Composite decking is low-maintenance and does not require annual sealing or staining.
1. Composite decking is more expensive than wood.
2. Composite decking can get hot in direct sunlight and may require additional shading in some areas.
3. Some composite decking is not as durable as others and may require replacement after a few years.
4. Composite decking may fade over time and may require periodic cleaning to maintain its original color.
5. Composite decking may not be suitable for all climates and may warp or swell in hot, humid weather.
6. Composite decking may require special tools for cutting and drilling.
Composite decking is a popular choice for homeowners because it is durable, low-maintenance, and easy to care for. It is also a green product made from recycled materials.
Composite decking is available in a wide variety of colors and styles to suit any home. However, it is important to keep in mind that composite decking is more expensive than wood and may require special tools for cutting and drilling.
When deciding if composite decking is right for your home, be sure to weigh the pros and cons to make the best decision for your needs.