Are you worried about your solar lights not working in the winter?
Don’t worry, solar lights will work all year round! In fact, a common misconception is that solar lights don’t work in the winter.
This is not true!
Solar lights will work just as well in the winter as they do in the summer.
The main thing to remember is that solar lights need sunlight to charge, so if there is less daylight in the winter, your solar lights may not stay lit for as long as they would in the summer. However, they will still work and provide some light during the shorter days.
Why Don’t My Solar Lights Come On At Dusk And Stay On All Night In The Winter?
This is a really good question and to be honest, when manufacturers say in the description “always on” or “Dusk to till dawn”, this isn’t entirely the case.
For example, if your solar lights are in an area that is shaded for part of the day, they will not get as much sunlight and therefore will not charge as much. This means that they may not stay on as long as you would like them to.
Another thing to consider is the time of year. In the winter, the days are shorter and there is less sunlight. This means that your solar lights may not stay on as long as they would in the summer.
However, they will still work and provide some light during the shorter days.
In The Winter, How Can You Charge Solar Lights?
The best way to charge solar lights in the winter is to place them in an area where they will get direct sunlight for at least six hours a day.
If you live in an area where there is snow, you can also use a plastic bag to cover your solar lights and help them retain heat. This will help them charge faster.
You can also buy solar lights with built-in batteries that will hold a charge for longer. These are great for areas where there is less sunlight in the winter.
What Are The Best Solar Lights For Winter?
There are many different types of solar lights on the market, so it can be tricky to know which ones are the best for winter.
Here are some things to look for when you’re choosing solar lights for winter:
- Look for solar lights with built-in batteries. These will hold a charge for longer and give you more light during the shorter days of winter.
- Choose solar lights that are rated for cold temperatures. This will ensure that they will work properly in the winter weather.
- Look for solar lights with a higher lumen output. This means that they will be brighter and will give you more light during the dark winter days.
- Choose solar lights with a wide angle beam. This will help you see better in the dark and will also give you more light.
- Choose solar lights that are made with durable materials. This will ensure that they will last longer and stand up to the winter weather.
Solar lights with motion sensors (often referred to as outdoor security lights) are ideal all year because the lights that only turn on when there is movement, which is how we can create a security light with 1,400 Lumens (the brightest in the UK).
If you need bright lighting in the winter, we always strongly suggest using a motion-activated light to ensure that you have enough light when you need it.
Now, even though fairy lights use less power, they are still a good choice since they work all year round. Some can even be topped up via USB, so you’ll never have to worry about batteries like the Lumify range of fairy lights.
How to Charge Solar Lights Without Sun
This is a common question that we get, especially from people who live in countries with long winters.
There are a few different ways that you can charge solar lights without sun:
- Use a USB charger to charge your solar lights. This is the easiest and most convenient way to charge your solar lights.
- Place your solar lights in a sunny spot during the day. This will help them charge faster.
- Use a solar charger to charge your solar lights. This is a great option if you don’t have access to a USB charger.
- Place your solar lights in an area where they will get indirect sunlight. This will help them charge slower, but they will still charge.
If you live in an area with long winters, we recommend using a solar charger to charge your solar lights. This is the most convenient and efficient way to charge your solar lights without sun.
What Are The Drawbacks Of Solar Lights?
There are a few drawbacks of solar lights that you should be aware of:
- Solar lights need sunlight to charge, so they will not work during a power outage.
- Solar lights can be less bright than traditional lights.
- Solar lights can be more expensive than traditional lights.
- Solar lights need to be replaced more often than traditional lights.
- Solar lights can be damaged by the sun if they are not covered.
The Best Location For Solar Lights
The best location for solar lights is an area that gets direct sunlight for most of the day. This will help them charge faster and give you more light at night.
You should also avoid placing your solar lights in an area where they will be exposed to the elements, such as wind, rain, or snow. This can damage the solar lights and shorten their lifespan.
Rechargeable Batteries and Solar Lights
No matter what type of solar light you buy, the vast majority of them will come with rechargeable batteries.
Now, these aren’t ordinary rechargeable batteries. They are typically Lithium-ion batteries, which are specifically designed for solar lights.
Lithium-ion batteries are the best type of battery for solar lights because they have a high capacity and can be recharged hundreds of times.
You should always make sure that you use the specific type of battery that is recommended by the manufacturer. Using the wrong type of battery can damage your solar lights and shorten their lifespan.
Solar lights typically come with a AA or AAA battery, but some larger models may use a 9-volt battery.
What Happens if My Solar Lights Don’t Work?
If your solar lights don’t work, there are a few things that you can do:
1. Check the batteries. The first thing that you should do is check the batteries. If the batteries are dead, then the solar lights will not work.
2. Check the Solar Panel/Cell. The next thing that you should do is check the solar panel/cell. Make sure that it is clean and free of dirt and debris.
3. Check the Light Bulb. The last thing that you should check is the light bulb. Make sure that it is screwed in tightly and that there is no burnt out filament.
4. Replace the batteries. If the batteries are old or damaged, then they may need to be replaced.
5. Replace the solar light. If the solar light is old or damaged, then it may need to be replaced.
Should I take my solar lights in for the winter?
Most lights will be just fine left outside in the winter. However, decorative string lights may need to be taken in and stored to prevent damage from freezing temperatures and heavy snowfall.
How do I keep my solar lights from turning yellow in the winter?
You can keep your solar lights from turning yellow in the winter by storing them in a cool, dry place. You should also avoid exposing them to direct sunlight or heat, as this can cause the batteries to degrade.
What Are The Best Solar Lights For Winter?
The best solar lights for winter are those that are specifically designed for winter weather conditions. These lights typically have a higher capacity battery and a more durable construction.
What Are The Worst Solar Lights For Winter?
The worst solar lights for winter are those that are not designed for winter weather conditions. These lights typically have a lower capacity battery and a less durable construction.
Can I use regular batteries in my solar lights?
No, you should not use regular batteries in your solar lights. Solar lights typically come with rechargeable AA or AAA battery, but some larger models may use a 9-volt battery. Using the wrong type of battery can damage your solar lights and shorten their lifespan.
Do solar lights work in rain?
Solar lights are designed to withstand exposure to the elements, including rain. However, if the batteries become wet, they may need to be replaced. Also, if the solar panel/cell becomes covered in snow or ice, it will not be able to absorb sunlight and the light will not work.
Do solar lights charge when turned off?
If your solar lights have an on/off switch, they will need to be switched on in order for them to charge. However, if your solar lights do not have an on/off switch, they will still charge when exposed to sunlight.
Do solar lights work in cloudy weather?
Solar lights will still charge in cloudy weather, but they may not charge as quickly as they would in direct sunlight.